- Setting Up Working Copy
- Publishing Steps to a Live Server
- Downsides to Using Working Copy
A large part of using "Working Copy" on your website to publish live is setting it up to publish only segments of your site and database.
This is mainly because a large site will require huge amounts of memory.
Setting Up Working Copy
[to be complete]
Publishing Steps to a Live Server
1) Test your site and make sure what you have setup on your site is correct. Inspect the areas that you have changed and make sure that there are now other pending changes in the system that might effect the changes that you are going to make live.
2) Make a list of the areas of the site that you need to publish, for example, Menus, Content Areas, Modules
3) Navigate to Working Copy via the main administrator menu
Components -> Working Copy
Here you will be presented with the different areas that you can publish to the website.
4) Select the desired area that you want to apply and update and hit the Apply Patch button on the top right corner of the screen.
This will start the publishing process for that area of the website.
Now make sure that you have published all the required areas need to make the site go live.
Downsides to Using Working Copy
The reason each part of the site is separated into a different job is because of the memory requirements it takes to dump a database on a local server and then upload that data onto the live server.
Careful and time consuming setup can be tricky but when it is done correctly, it is very well worth it.
The code is downloadable from its Google Code website found at: